Monday, February 16, 2009

This caused me to lose any vestige of editorial control over the comments submitted to my blog

From the FT:

"
No post today

February 17, 2009 1:45am

Around February 6, FT.com introduced a change in the template through which I submit my posts to Maverecon. This caused me to lose any vestige of editorial control over the comments submitted to my blog. All I see is what you see - the comments actually published after vetting/filtering by FT.com.

Until the status quo ante is restored, and I can see the entire flow of comments that have been submitted, I will not post to Maverecon. My personal comment-vetting policy is rather more permissive than that of FT.com - I have never knowingly turned down a comment. I understand that the FT has to worry about lawsuits, and that it has policies against personal attacks/abuse etc. in any publication and on any website that carries its name. Naturally, our interests and positions are not perfectly aligned. By agreeing to move my blog to FT.com, I agreed to abide by a certain code.

But I need the information to be able to argue my side of the ‘what can be published’ issue. Until I can see the entire flow of comments - good, bad and ugly - I am not even aware of what has been filtered out. So until my information base is restored, I will take a break from posting."

Me:

Thank you for taking this stand. You have always posted my comments, however asinine or ill-informed. Many sites do not. I have my own blog now to keep track of my comments, because so many sites don't post them for whatever reason. Having taken the time to write them, I like to keep a record of what I thought, just for my own benefit. I doubt it's libel or slander that I get left off. Fair enough. The same goes for Economist's Forum or Vox, where average readers don't qualify.

Many of us write comments out of appreciation, hoping that our interest shows an engagement with your column. We also enjoy other reader's comments. There is a kind of community that develops as a readership to a blog. By taking this stand, you make us feel part of the blog, part of a discourse that we learn from and partake in. Editing comments too strictly negatively impacts this feeling.

I love the FT, but I not happy with this development. I know that you're not going to happy to hear this, but I'll follow you wherever you go. Maybe you should reconsider your position. I also enjoy John Hempton's blog, and almost posted there today. He can't get away either. Posted by: Don the libertarian Democrat |

No comments: