Friday, February 6, 2009

Good comment on a Tyler Cowen post at Marginal Revolution wherein Cowen unearths an ancient Keynes letter providing some support for tax cuts.

From Paul Kedrosky:

"
Negative Externalities and Dueling Economists

Good comment on a Tyler Cowen post at Marginal Revolution wherein Cowen unearths an ancient Keynes letter providing some support for tax cuts. More fuel for my take that skepticism-verging-on-nihilism is the right answer when faced by economists splitting along party lines.

….negative externalities accrue when we disparage poor expert consensus in a way that doesn't clearly lead to advocating for better expert consensus.

As for unearthing an old Keynes letter, I understand it may be fighting fire with fire, but really, I think the economics and legal profession should move away the pre-rational human tendency to want to derive policy wisdom from interpreting the texts of ancestors. Let's leave that to religious fundamentalism.

I'm more intrigued by the empirical work of folks like Romer and Barro and others, than the dueling sacred texts of Keynes and Mises."

Me:

It depends upon how you view Economics. To me, it produces some theories and models that are more or less useful in helping us to understand the economy. The really important action exists in Political Economy. Keynes and Mises are of continuing interest because they studied Political Economy. Although I did read a couple of books by Barro that qualify, they were not great, but good. I haven't read books by Romer.

However, it is a bizarre claim that Political Economy can't use the classics. That's like saying that sociologists can't use Durkheim. After all, we still use Newtonian Mechanics. If you think that Economics is more like physics than a human science, I can understand this position, sort of. If not, it's strange.

Since we're not sure what to do, and the economic theories are of limited use, we naturally look to the past for help. Isn't a lot of economics based on comparing different historical examples and trying to derive some useful ideas? Keynes is useful because his theories are widely thought to have been of help in ending the depression. As well, he was a very good writer. He provides us a set of ideas which we can use as a guide in considering current ideas, and, quite frankly, a hopeful narrative of how we might get out of this mess. I consider narrative thinking to be very important for politics and political economy. Others don't, I suppose.

Merely appealing to Keynes is an example of the fallacy called the appeal to authority. I don't think that Cowen is doing this, since he believes, as I do, that a payroll tax cut is a good thing. The Keynes letter also gives some reasons for his views, which you can agree with or not. But, since there are reasons given, it is not simply the argument from authority. It is valid, in my opinion, to want to know what Keynes thought about this issue, because he was a brilliant. That's all.

However, just calling on Barro and Romer is also the argument from authority. I've been reading Romer and Barro. In fact, yesterday, their ideas were both on blogs. Barro called for tax cuts as incentives, without offering anything specific. Romer, if I've got the right Romer, advocated giving the FDIC more power to collapse banks and concerns like Lehman I believe, which, from my perspective, is just nationalization under a different rubric. I'm fine with it, but it qualifies as a government takeover.

So, it's fine to quote whomever you want, assuming that you can explain what they said, and give reasons why you do or don't agree. I don't take that for granted, by the way. I know that it's hard to do for all of us.

No comments: